Easy Sponge layers
100g/4oz softened organic butter
100g/4oz Organic self raising flour
2 organic free range eggs
100g/4oz caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp water
1. Beat all ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
2. Divide between 2 oiled/buttered and greeseproof lined 18cm/7"round tins.
3. Bake in an oven preheated to 180deg/350F for 25-30 mins.
4. Turn out cakes onto a wire rack to cool.
5. Sandwich cakes together with chosen filling from below.
- Victorian Sponge cake:Add home made rasberry jam with 3 tbsp sugar and spread it in between the sponge layers.
- Berry fruits: 75g/3oz butter, 125g/5oz Icing sugar, 100gm/4oz fresh berries, Cream together butter and sugar then mix in fresh berries.
- Chocolate Frosting: 1 egg white(beat it till you can), 100g/4oz sugar, 1tbsp water, 75g/3oz melted chocolate. Carefully bring sugar and water to a rolling boil then stir into stiff egg white followed by melted chocolate.
- Cappuccino: 150ml whipped cream, 25g/2oz Instant coffee, 50g/2oz grated chocolate. - Stir coffee powder and grated chocolate into whipped cream.
- Lemon Drizzle: 75g/3oz butter 150g/6oz icing sugar, 1 lemon rind and juice. - Cream together the butter, sugar and grated lemon rind. Add lemon juice to make spreading consistency.